Monday, January 9, 2012

Salt Dough Sculpture

I'm on a snowman kick this week... this is a fun project for grades K-2.  The night before the lesson I made salt dough with this easy recipe.  I gave each child a ball and let them play with it while we talked about and looked at pictures of sculpture.  (You can check out The Art Book from the school library for examples).

Then, we made simple snowmen by rolling out three balls: small, medium, and large and stacking them on top of each other.  I gave each child a handful of cookie sprinkles to use for eyes and nose, and two toothpicks to use for arms.  (note* I purchased these myself.  We don't have these in the art supply room).

We left the snowmen in the classroom over the weekend so they could dry out and then the kids took them home the next week. 

This is not a great picture, and the poor guy has last an arm, but this is the one my now 2nd grader made back in kindergarten.

The kids loved sculpting.  You could make different shapes or ornaments as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment